Maarten De Gussem graduated as a DVM from the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at Ghent University in 2000 with a thesis on Infectious Bursal Disease Virus at the University of Arkansas, USA.
Since 2000, he has been working as in the field at Degudap practice in Belgium, France, The Netherlands dealing with Broilers, Breeders, Layers and Turkeys.
In 2001, Maarten joined the division of J&J Global Poultry Technical Manager at Janssen Animal Health, with focus on coccidiosis, gut health, helminthosis, histomonosis and red mite.
In 2009, Vetworks was founded by Maarten, servicing the poultry industry with a global team of specialists and providing support on poultry health topics all over the world with focus on mycoplasmosis, general gut health and coccidiosis.
Next to his work at Vetworks, Maarten is also:
- Director at Poulpharm research and diagnostic lab specialized in gut health, coccidiosis, Salmonella, Avian Influenza
- He is Academic advisor at Ghent University – Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at the Department of Pathology, Bacteriology and Poultry Diseases
- Member of the scientific committee International Conference Poultry Intestinal Health
- Course master WVEPAH – World Veterinary Education in Production Animal Health- training in Broilers, Turkeys and Layers for OIE in Africa and Latin America.
- Board member EMAV
- Partners with the Poultry Health Chair at Ghent University
- Partners EU for H2020 Phagovet: A cost-effective solution for controlling Salmonella and Escherichia coli in poultry production
- Previously partners with EU for FP7 Effort: reduction of antimicrobial resistance in poultry
- Author of the poultry management manual: Broiler Signals – a leading broiler management book in more than 12 languages. Now available as an e-learning module.